Food Friday is the best day of the week! Snag a new recipe or spark some creativity!Read More
At first glance it may appear to be ballet, but it's not. Barre fitness classes are simply ballet-inspired in positioning and alignment. The premise of the class mixes basic elements of Pilates, dance, yoga, and functional training; all choreographed to motivating music. In each energizing workout you'll use the barre and specialized resistance equipment, such as mini-balls and small hand weights, to sculpt, slim, and stretch your entire body.
10 awesome reasons to try a barre workout:
1. No experience required. Everyone has different starting points, strengths, and challenges; instructors recognize that. If you are worried about not being 'fit enough' or fear you won’t be able to ‘get it’ or keep up, rest assured that instructors will guide you through the movements and offer helpful feedback without singling you out. Each person can be challenged at their own level in class without affecting anyone else’s workout. Trust us, nobody in a barre class has the capabilities to notice anyone else around them. Always measure progress against yourself; not the person next to you!
2. Hard on muscles, kind on joints. The small, super-controlled movements that take place in barre classes reduce pressure on your joints, tendons, ligaments and spine. By doing barre regularly, you'll notice a remarkable improvement in your core strength and posture. While a tight core will give you a taller appearance, it will also keep you safe from injuries.
3. Head to toe workout. After each satisfyingly exhausting class, your entire body will truly feel WORKED. You’ll feel stretched, strengthened and invigorated. It truly does foster its own ‘barre high’.
4. Work muscles to failure. Barre's tiny motions, high reps, intentional squeezes and pulses (otherwise known as isometric movements) are designed to fatigue muscles to failure - THE SHAKE ZONE. Embrace the shaking as it’s totally natural for your muscles to quiver uncontrollably – it means you are exhausting that muscle and forcing it to tone and change.
5. Modifications for every age and level. The beauty of barre classes is that everyone works with small movements and can limit or expand their range of motion to suit their specific needs. Exercises can always be modified whether you’re a beginner, pregnant, or have an injury. Make sure you disclose any special needs or ailments to your instructor; remember, you agreed to do so by signing that informative waiver prior to your first class. Likewise, movements can also be amplified if you’re advanced and looking for more of a challenge! Instructors always have their eye on each client and what they need.
6. Increased flexibility. Through focused stretching, an improved range-of-motion is one of the greatest benefits of barre exercise. Sometimes people are flexible but not strong, or strong and not flexible, so whether you can sit comfortably in a pretzel position or you’re stiffer than a board, barre classes actually teach your body to be both! Having flexibility and strength allows you to enjoy a longer, active life free of injuries.
7. Never boring, always fun. You’ll find that the time spent in class passes very quickly due to the fast pace, variety of exercises, upbeat music, ever-changing choreography, and inspiring instructors. It’s never the same class twice!
8. Lost weight and inches. Many of the workouts target the largest muscle groups in the body, like the thighs and glutes. The larger the muscle, the more calories burned! As you continue to attend class you will build more lean muscle mass and raise your resting metabolic rate, which can help you to produce more energy and expend calories. Perhaps more important than actual weight loss, barre classes will help you drop a size by redistributing inches on your body – making you appear (and feel) longer and leaner. If you pair barre workouts with a healthy diet (familiar with that 80/20 rule?), you will achieve even better results!
9. Greater range of motion and endurance for all other activities and sports. Barre classes target the core muscle groups that are neglected in conventional strength training in a variety of interesting ways. For example, skiers and snowboarders may notice enhanced knee alignment, improved balance and greater quad and hamstring recruitment. If you’re a golfer or tennis player, you just may experience greater hip openness and movement allowing for a better swing. Runners can attain increased endurance, faster PR times and reduced impact on joints. We're talking all over bonuses!
10. Rapid results. Yes, you will be sore after the first few classes, but you’ll also see some major results in little time – so stick with it! Consistency is ALWAYS key! If you perform a barre workout 3-4 times weekly, you will typically notice changes in as little as one month. Changes may include an improved posture, thinner thighs, chiseled arms, a sculpted back, flat abs and a lifted seat; you will feel these changes first, seeing them comes shortly after! Barre classes are incredibly effective at transforming so-called 'problem' areas, especially for women.
There’s a good reason why more and more people are trying out barre workouts, and you should give it a shot, too. Soon enough, your body will reflect all of your hard work. Are you ready for some serious body sculpting?
This week we're starting a new tradition and celebrating Woman Crush Wednesday! We'll be sharing the stories and advice of those that support and inspire ALL of us at Barre Reaction!👑💪🏼
Meet Ann and Erika, two fab friends we now call our own❤️!! We have adored these two since day one when they began their journey together; it's only fitting to post their stories together!
❓We asked 5 questions, they answered (our hearts are bursting), and gave some great advice! Read the full Q&A below...
1.) How did you hear about Barre Reaction?
Ann: Erika and I were looking for a barre studio convenient for both of us living in White Lake and Milford. We stumbled upon Barre Reaction and thought it was a perfect location!
Erika: My husband actually! At the time I was taking barre classes at a studio near my work but wasn't going as often as I wanted due to their class times and the distance from our house. Mike mentioned that he noticed a barre studio by the Walgreen's on his way home from work and suggested I look into it. I talked to Ann and we decided to give it a try after researching the studio online!
2.) What is your favorite class, you're go-to?
Ann: If I had to choose one it would be the classic Barre class. I love that it’s a full body work out, touching on each area of the body. I do love Catalyst and Sweat & Sculpt too, they are a very close 2nd and 3rd. 😉
Erika: My favorite barre class would be the classic Barre Reaction / Barre class. I like that during the course of the class we focus on each muscle group (arms, legs, abs, back, etc.) following with a stretch!
3.) What benefits have you experienced from your regular barre routine?
Ann: Before barre, I would find myself tagging along to the gym with my husband. I wasn’t seeing results from the machine work that I was doing. I was sick of running on a treadmill and needed to switch things up. I have never had arm or back muscles until I started at Barre Reaction. I find myself getting excited to work out and I have more energy after going to class. I enjoy the morning classes which are a great way to start my day.
Erika: My intention when I started barre was not to lose weight but to build muscle and do something active after work. When you work a 40+ hour week desk job, you sit... a lot. I tried joining a gym but found myself not motivated to go - that's when I looked into barre classes. I'm coming up to a year now since I've started and I've seen considerable changes. Not only do I now have arm muscles and a two pack 😉, after leaving a class I have a clear mindset; it's like hitting the refresh button. Stressful day in the office, you'll find me in the studio.
4.) Do you have a barre goal you're set out to crush?
Ann: Join the 250 club by Christmas!
Erika: I'd love to do a 30 classes in 30 days goal. Once I get back from my OBX trip in September I'll give it a go!
5.) What would be your advice to a new client or someone hesitant to try Barre Reaction?
Ann: I was working out at a gym, but wasn’t seeing results. I was a little hesitant when I signed up for Barre, but needed a change. I signed up with Erika and we set a goal to complete 100 classes in 4 months before a girls trip. I did not plan to extend my membership after our goal, but we were immediately hooked and now I cannot imagine working out any other way. One of my favorite aspects of Barre Reaction is the variety of classes offered - it’s not the same routine every day. I look forward to my cardio days with Catalyst, Sweat and Sculpt for a real butt kicking, and Fusion if I’m looking for slightly less intense class. They have several class times throughout the morning, afternoon and even evening that work with any schedule. I love all the instructors, you can tell each has a true passion for what they do and it reflects in every class. Their positive outlook on life radiates and you can never leave Barre in a bad mood! Barre Reaction has become a part of my daily routine and I couldn’t be happier that we made the decision to sign up.
Erika: My advice... definitely give it a shot and sign up for a full month to see how you like it. Barre Reaction usually has new member deals going on, so take advantage. If you can, find a friend and join together. I've found that having a "barre buddy" holds you more accountable to going! Personally, I don't have enough good things to say about Barre Reaction. The studio offers a variety of classes and I love that they are always trying to make things better by introducing new classes like Sweat and Sculpt and Slide, as well as getting new equipment. All in all, I would highly recommend giving Joyy and the Barre Reaction tribe a try!
Perfect for summer! This recipe is easily tailored to be your favorite! We used Sambazon Unsweetened Acai Superfruit packs, available at Busch’s, Better Health, and Whole Foods. Give it a try and share your variation below!
- 100g packet Acai berry blend (frozen)
- 1/2 banana (frozen)
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk or plain Greek yogurt
- 1/8 cup granola
- Choice of berries/unsweetened coconut
How to do it:
Blend the Acai, frozen banana, and non-dairy milk or Greek yogurt on medium high until smooth. Top with berries, coconut, and granola. Enjoy!
We hate the "d" word (cough, cough diet). Our tips for success? Exercise, adapt better eating habits, and stop looking at consumer driven advertising that pushes society to believe skinny is the only way to be! We want you to appreciate your god given vessel, treat it right, learn to appreciate all it can do, and enjoy the yummy things (within moderation of course)! So, if that's our stance, why is this popping up in our blog you ask? We are often asked about diets and nutrition which end up in a conversation leading our beloveds toward the information below, it is the perfect place to start before you attempt a crash d-word!
Do you ever wonder why the same diet that's working for your friend seems to keep you at a stand still? There are 4 variances of body type and, like snowflakes, each body has its own unique blueprint from hormones to metabolism. Check out this great article from our friends at ACE Fit that chats about body type and fueling it correctly!
CLICK HERE to read on!
The all new Barre Reaction reward card gives you the opportunity to save 10-20% off of all retail and memberships!
Collect a punch every time you: bring a friend, renew your membership (including autopay), attend a workshop or specialty class, or pop in for special punch days. You must have your card the day of to receive your punch so keep it close.
Collect 10 punches and you may choose how to use your discount, toward retail OR membership! Receive 10% off your choice of already on-sale items and packages; or 20% off full price! Here's your opportunity to always receive the ABSOLUTE LOWEST prices just for staying committed to your personal health and wellness!
Swing by the desk during your next visit to grab a Reward Card and start collecting punches today!